With July 4th coming up this week, many are planning their fireworks displays. Fireworks can be an enjoyable part of any summer party, but they can also be dangerous when used improperly. How can you make sure your family will be safe during your July 4th celebration?
Fireworks Safety Checklist
- Only use fireworks outside.
- Pay attention to local fire warnings. If your local fire department has declared a high fire risk, do not light fireworks. Stray fireworks can ignite forest fires.
- Keep a fire extinguisher, a bucket of water, or a hose within reach when launching fireworks.
- Never drink and launch. Always have a designated launcher.
- If a firework doesn’t light, do not attempt to re-light it. Wait 20 minutes and then soak the dud in a bucket of water.
- Always wear eye protection when launching fireworks.
- Before launching fireworks, make sure all bystanders are at a safe distance from the launch site.
- Never attempt to launch homemade fireworks or explosives. These are extremely dangerous and can kill you!
- Respect age restrictions provided by the fireworks manufacturer.
- Never launch fireworks from a glass or metal container.
- Light fireworks one at a time.
- Don’t even think about pointing fireworks at another person
Following these tips can keep you and your family safe this July 4th! Are you looking for some fun away from home? Visit the houmatoday.com and read the article about Locals celebrate with festivals, fireworks for a list of events/activities to celebrate the 4th. Have a fun and safe celebration!